At TransPaw Gear, in addition to providing pet gear that ensures an easy, enjoyable, walking experience, it’s also our goal to help move society forward into a mutually respectful space between dogs and humans – thereby creating a pawsitive cultural shift. A well-fitting, comfortable pet harness is one step in that direction. Happily, there are many additional resources for compassionate, devoted pet parents like you and we’d like to share some of our favs with you here:
Quality Pet Training Products
Make your life easier with a treat pouch. Explore clicker training. Shop for your dog, cat, horse, bird – or yourself! Whatever adventures you and your pets have coming up, The Doggone Good Clicker Company has got you covered.
Muzzles are meant to be comfortable for dogs and keep people and dogs safe. Including this concept in your training goals can be an important skill for many dogs. Check out the Muzzle Up! Project for great information, including an incredible resources page and complete muzzle training plan. A qualified, force-free dog trainer is also a key resource when working on this type of training.
Humane, Force-Free Private Dog Training and Classes
Our sister site, The Inquisitive Canine is a great place to start if you are looking for a pawsitive approach for positive results. If you haven’t visited the site in a while, you might have missed some exciting new updates to:
- Private Training, one-on-one coaching to address specific training and behavior needs.
- Online Dog Training, quality pet training with safety and convenience, no matter where you live.
- Project tRade, joining forces with TransPaw Gear and the Pet Professional Guild to help make a kinder world for pets.
- And business coaching services for pet professionals.
Making a Difference for Shelter Pets
The SPCA LA not only has great programs and services for people and pets, but also has an amazing Animal Resource Library with informative articles for any pet guardian. If you’re looking for a place to donate to, volunteer at or adopt from, please consider looking into the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Los Angeles (spcaLA), an independent, nonprofit animal welfare organization. Thank you.
Other valuable resources include official position statements on important topics related to pet training and management. Everyone, everyone seems to have strong opinions on everything from dominance theory to pet correction devices. But, what does the science say? It’s helpful to be able to turn to organizations who use both modern science and ethics to inform their positions on these topics. Organizations whose position statements we find very insightful, yet clear, include The American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB) and the Pet Professional Guild.
Read All About It
- And if you enjoy reading, but position statements aren’t your thing, be sure to check out Dogwise, a website that provides books, e-books, DVDs, CDs, MP3s and streaming video on a variety of topics related to the field of animal behavior. It’s a treasure trove for devoted pet guardians and includes, among many other books, two personal favorites:
- The Culture Clash, which is the book that turned many dog lovers into dog trainers (including TransPaw Gear founder and inventor – and professional dog trainer- Joan Hunter Mayer).
- Wag: The Science of Making Your Dog Happy, a new book on the inner lives of dogs, written by certified Fear-Free trainer and social psychologist, Dr. Zazie Todd.
From force-free training gear to reliable pet care information, sometimes the number of options available can be overwhelming. We hope you find these recommendations helpful and we will be updating them now and again. Whether you might be looking for resources for your new puppy, your current long-time BFF or holiday gifts for the pets or pet lovers in your life, you can bookmark this post for some handy references at your fingertips.