Joan’s journey from owner of a successful dog training business to inventor and entrepreneur has been fueled by her passion to create a cultural shift that enhances the human-canine bond, beginning with pet harness gear specially designed to support humane, force-free interactions for both ends of the leash.
Mother to Poncho (from June 2003 to July 2015) and Ringo (adopted January 2017), Joan understands the challenges that both humans and dogs face in everyday life. In addition to 15+ years working hands-on with dogs and their human parents, which has included extensive learning in animal training and behavior, Joan holds multiple certifications from the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT). And this also includes a Behavior Consultant Canine – Knowledge Assessed (CBCC-KA) and Professional Dog Trainer – Knowledge Assessed (CPDT-KA).
Her unique educational background also includes fashion (she graduated from the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising and spent 14 years in costuming for film and TV), nursing (studied at Ventura College and Stanford Medical School), and business (she earned an MBA from Antioch University). The combination of art and science, infused with caring and creativity is what Joan brings to her work as an advocate. This allows her to empower inquisitive canines and the people who love them.
Joan worked with a team of professional designers, engineers, artisans, and of course dogs and their humans to test drive the many iterations of the Happy Harness. The first TransPaw Gear® harness has been produced exclusively by Joan for the Love of Dog.
- MBA – Antioch University Santa Barbara
- BA, Entrepreneurship Concentration – Antioch University Santa Barbara
- Family Nurse Practitioner/Physician’s Assistant – Stanford Medical School
- AS, Nursing – Ventura College
- AA, Fashion Design – Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising
Dog Training and Behavior Education
The San Francisco SPCA Academy for Dog Trainers
- Certificate in Training and Counseling
- Behavior and Training Internship
- Fear and Aggression Certificate
- Dog-Dog Aggression Certificate
- Public Class Teaching Certificate
- Puppy Training Certificate
Special Topics in Advanced Counseling
- Stranger Aggression and Social Fear
- Curriculum Design and Classroom Management
- Dog-Dog Aggression
Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT)
- Certified Behavior Consultant Canine – Knowledge Assessed (CBCC-KA)
- Certified Professional Dog Trainer – Knowledge Assessed (CPDT-KA)
Peaceable Paws Intern Academy (Hagerstown, Maryland)
- Level I Dog Training and Behavior
- Level II Canine Behavior Modification
Additional Training and Credentials
- Fear Free Certification Program
- Bob Bailey’s Workshop (Sequim, Washington) – a series of intensive seminars in applied operant conditioning, also known as applied behavior analysis.
- Dr. Susan G. Friedman’s Living and Learning with Animals two-part in-depth course
- Completed coursework with animal trainer Ken Ramirez at Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, Illinois
- Attendee of Karen Pryor’s Clicker Expos
- Graduate of the Registered Nursing program of Ventura College in Ventura, California and a graduate of Stanford University School of Medicine’s Primary Care Associate Program
- Professional Member: Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT)
- Affiliate Member: International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC)