Harness Measurement Guide (in inches)
|Harness Size||Front Opening Circumference||Girth Opening Circumference||Chest Plate Length||Back Plate Length||Chest Plate Width (at D-ring)|
|XS||11″ – 13″||13″ – 16″||5″||4″||1.5″|
|S||12″ – 14″||16″ – 20″||7″||5″||2″|
|M||15″ – 17″||18″ – 23″||8″||6″||2.5″|
|L||18″ – 21″||24″ – 33″||11″||7″||3″|
|XL||21″ – 24″||27″ – 37″||13″||8″||3.5″|
Dog Harness How to Measure
The best way on how to measure your dog to determine the ideal size harness is to use a cloth measuring tape to calculate measurements for the front opening and girth circumference of your dog, and then compare the results to the harness sizes outlined in the chart above. The neck opening should sit a couple of inches behind your dog’s collar and the girth strap should fit a couple of inches behind your dog’s front legs. Read through the following step-by-step instructions or check out our “how-to measure your dog” video to determine the best size harness for your dog.
Harness Fitting Instructions
- With one side of the front straps already connected, bring the front section of the harness around your dog’s head and neck using the same motion as you would when attaching a collar.
- Clip the opposite side together. (The harness should sit a couple of inches below your dog’s collar, flat against their body.)
- Bring the chest plate between the front legs, then clip together the girth strap buckles.
- If your dog walks easily with you and does not pull, then attach the leash to the back D-ring.
- If your dog tends to pull, then attach the least to the front D-ring at the dog’s chest to help discourage your dog from unwanted forward pulling.
Harness Cleaning & Care Instructions
For cleaning, we advise hand washing or wiping the harness with a damp cloth and air/line drying. Because of the intricate design and materials used, washing and drying in a machine could increase the risk of damage to both the harness and the washer and/or dryer. TransPaw Gear will not be held responsible for damage if the harness is cleaned and dried in a washing machine. We do NOT recommend dry cleaning our products.
The fabrics used in constructing the harnesses are water-friendly. Whether spot cleaning or washing the harness its entirety, first remove loose dried dirt, sand, and debris with a brush. Spot clean with a damp cloth or sponge using cool water and mild soap (if necessary). You may wash and rinse the entire harness by hand, using cool water and mild soap (if necessary).